07 June 2023
HR and Finance Assistant
Permanent, part-time, 20 hours per week, flexible and remote
£26,325 per year (pro rata)
About Chapter One
Chapter One is a small but growing charity with a vision of a world in which all children have the literacy skills needed to thrive. Our mission is to close the reading gap by providing children with one-to-one support at the time they need it most. We work in ten areas/regions of the UK and will support 3000 children in 2023-24.
Our unique Online Reading Volunteer programme pairs disadvantaged, struggling five to seven-year old (KS1) readers with reading support volunteers who are working professionals. The volunteer ask is very focused: readers commit 30 minutes a week to read with a child using a bespoke digital platform for an entire academic year. The results are transformative, boosting children's reading confidence and ability.
From a school perspective, online reading volunteers provide direct, meaningful literacy support for up to 10 pupils per class. The programme is particularly suitable for communities where it might be challenging to find parents and other volunteers who can commit to physically visiting schools to boost reading.
About the Role
The Finance and HR Assistant will provide support to the CEO, Corporate Partnerships manager and Bookkeeper with a range of finance and HR related tasks. They will work remotely and will need to have access to a reliable internet connection. The Assistant will report to the CEO.
The HR related duties of the Assistant will include:
- Support the CEO to manage recruitment and onboarding, including organising applications and interviews, and organising staff induction.
- Support the CEO with other HR tasks, including maintaining training records and recording sickness and leave via the BreatheHR platform.
The Finance related duties of the Assistant will include:
- Managing our invoicing, including reminders
- Liaising with our bookkeeper to ensure finance records are updated (Quickbooks)
- Managing the process of thanking our partners
The Partnerships related duties of the Assistant will include:
- Supporting our Corporate Partnerships Manager with data gathering
- Supporting our Corporate Partnerships Manager with keep Salesforce records accurate and up to date
- Supporting our Corporate Partnerships Manager with mail merging and report preparation
- Supporting our Corporate Partnerships Manager with Monthly Drop in sessions for volunteer - taking notes.
- Other administrative tasks as required, including arranging meetings.
We are looking for applicants with the following essential qualities:
- Educated to A-level or above
- Experience in a similar role
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Excel
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Meticulous eye for detail
- Hard-working, entrepreneurial self-starter who is intrinsically motivated
- Takes pride in holding themself to the highest standards in all aspects of their work
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Goal-oriented team-player who also thrives working independently
- Proficiency in Google suite
The best applicants will also have the following desirable qualities:
- A passion for supporting children’s literacy
- An interest in a career in finance/HR in the charity sector
As a charity that values and celebrates people's diversity and champions opportunities for all young people, we are keen to receive applications from people who have experienced disadvantage and from those who are from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities who are currently underrepresented in the organisation. We believe that a diverse organisation is one that is more innovative, more creative and gets better results.
How to Apply
Please send your CV (maximum 2 A4 sides) and a covering letter via Charity Jobs. Your covering letter (maximum 1 side of A4) should detail:
1) Your experience in a similar role with clear examples.
2) Your ability to be resilient when things are not going the way you thought, including clear examples of past experiences.
3) Tell us about how our organisational mission is in line with your values.
Applications that fail to meet these criteria will automatically be discounted. We want you to have every opportunity to shine and to show us your talents—please let us know if there is anything we can do to make sure the assessment process works for you.